Friday, June 26, 2009

Peanut butter & jelly, hot dogs, red beans and ice cream cones.

I sat down at my dining room table in front of the window so that the cool breeze would hit the back of my neck. It has been hot and humid in my part of the world and the rain we had earlier had made the temperature drop along with the humidity. I was thinking about how wonderful that breeze felt when I heard children outside. I looked at the clock and it read 10:20 pm. I was thinking that it had to be my son's fiance and her children. They came in and the kids said that they were hungry so I made them peanut butter and jelly. Then I remembered that I had hot dogs. My son and his girl had red beans and hotdogs with chili powder mixed in. Three of the five children (the youngest is 14 months and he was sleeping) had p & j and a hotdog. They all had chocolate milk and to top it off they had chocolate ice cream cones (one of them had a fudge bar). I forgot to mention that my daughter-in-law lives right down the street with her mom and stepdad. The youngest child has been staying with me because there isn't much room where they live. At present her mom is the only one that has a job. Her and my son can not find a job and her stepdad just lost his. (even I am unemployed) She tried to get help from the state and denied her because she wouldn't go after my son for child support. She told them that they were together and why would she do that. Plus, he doesn't have a job. He tried to get help and got denied for the same reason. It is awful that the state cares more about trying to collect child support than they do about hungry children. I do help them as much as I can but it isn't easy. There are too many people in this same situation right now and my heart breaks for each and every one of them. Children are a blessing from God and they bring such joy into our lives. A child should not go hungry. No one in America should go hungry.

No comments:

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.