Thursday, June 4, 2009

Beans and Cornbread-Come Home to the South

Beans are high in fiber and low in fat. Also a good source of protein. I made a big pot of northern beans for dinner tonight. Lots of onion and garlic and pepper and bacon (you don't have to use the bacon, it's for flavor). They were delicious! Leftovers tomorrow. I made a 13 x 9 pan with baked cornbread and then I also made some fried. Both kinds are wonderful. I just buy the cornmeal mix and follow the directions for country cornbread. When I fry it I just fry it like pancakes. In fact, we tried it with syrup the last time I made it and it is actually really good. I even made a spice bundt cake for dessert. No frosting though. We haven't had a slice of that yet but I'm sure it's fantastic. I can remember going to Kentucky when I was a kid. The food was unbelievable. Breakfast would be waiting for you when you got up. I'm talking food, food and more food. There would be biscuits, gravy, sausage, bacon, ham, potatoes, eggs, and even dessert! And that's just breakfast. No wonder I always put on a little weight while visiting there, lol. Back then they would eat their biggest meal around 1pm. They called this dinner. Toward evening was supper. This is when they ate what we might eat for lunch. There would be just as much food, if not more, for dinner as there was for breakfast. Cornbread was always a part of this meal. Good old fashioned in the cast iron skillet cornbread. The best! Southern fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, gravy and always dessert. Memories are delicious! Happy eating and stay healthy!

No comments:

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.