Sunday, October 21, 2012

Swai Fish Baked with Red, Yellow, Orange Peppers and Onions

Baked Swai


I didn't even know Swai fish existed until one day I was looking at the bags of frozen fish in Kroger. I noticed that the bag of this type of fish was only $7.99 for 2.5 pounds. Well, I decided that for this price it was worth trying.

It was about two weeks later that I decided to thaw some out and actually try it. I looked online for a baked Swai recipe and found that this is a pretty popular fish. Out of the many recipes found, I decided to create my own.

The first thing that I did was cut up the veggies and placed them in a skillet with a small amount of water so that I could pre-cook them. I let them steam till they were almost done. (this depends on how well done you like your peppers and onions, we prefer them very soft)

While the peppers were steaming, I coated the bottom of a 13 by 9 glass baking dish with just a small amount of olive oil. I rinsed the fish in cold water and set them on a plate lined with a paper towel and patted the fillets dry. After patting them dry I sprinkled black pepper and garlic powder on them.
(There are only a few dishes that I use salt in) Season these fillets to your own taste.

When peppers and onions reached the preferred doneness, I drained them and placed them into the prepared baking dish. I preceded to place the fish fillets on top of the veggies and place the pan into a 375 degree oven, baking them for 25-30 minutes. The time will vary between ovens because they are not all the same. Remove from oven and let stand a few minutes and then serve.


My grandson does not like peppers and onions so I made some "mac and cheese" to go with our dinner. It went well with the meal.

Now, I want to say that I did not like the texture of the Swai fish. The flavor is so mild that there is none. This was the first and last time that I will bake this type of fish. The fillets that are left in the freezer will be pan fried with butter. I'm curious if that will make a difference.

1 comment:

Resources for Chefs said...

Swai is pretty versatile and I love your use of the peppers in this recipe. If interested, here is additional info about swai.

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.